Monday, April 20, 2009

Dwelling

To dwell, or not to dwell, that is the question.  Some advocate not dwelling, on the theory that dwelling doesn't fix anything, and one should just soldier on.  Some can't help but dwell.  And then there is I, who is both a dweller, and amused by how dwell has ceased to have any meaning now that I've repeated it 7 times.  Let's review the list of items that has inspired this less than elevated soliloquy:

1. Child gets hit in face by wooden bat.  Shrieks, tears and dismay ensue.  Septum turns out not to be deviated.

2. Having no money to take a family vacation during kid's spring break, kid stays home with the nanny and baby sister. In boredom, kid plays with lock on garage door, eventually leaving it locked so that catastrophic buckling ensues when Dad attempts to open garage door with auto-opener.  Garage door must be replaced.

3. Luxury yacht market hits the skids, causing much unhilarity.

4. Leave work two hours early to take kid to appointment on Friday.  Amazing awful traffic causes lateness not just for appt, but for school pickup ($20 fee, yowza).  

4b. Driving from doctor's office to cub scout meeting, get hit by random kid driving a suburban.  Small fender bender with no injuries, but sneaking suspicion erupts that my own personal dark cloud is following me around.

5.  Cooking uninspired dinner on Sunday night, rice steamer short circuits and sends out flame.  Lucky me, didn't start rice before leaving house to run errands, so we were home for the incident and could unplug flaming machine.

6.  Lovely son was eager to go to kungfu and show off his new yellow belt, and jumped out of car so he could run into class.  Sadly, he slammed his hand in the car door.  Needless to say, no kungfu class today.

I have two theories and 1 attempt to not dwell:
1. Bad luck is dogging my family, and little stupid things keep happening.
2. Good luck is protecting my family, and incidents that could be terrible pass with minor irritation.
2b. I don't really believe in luck, and all this is coicidence... but I am a little superstitious and don't want to tempt Providence so will let the two theories stand.

I don't know which of these it is.  I also am thinking that the child-related incidents should be separated from the rest.  Bat to the face, smashed fingers, garage door catastrophe- these are all connected to curious little boy exploring the world and being careless with his safety.

But I really think it is item #3 that is fueling the dwelling and brooding on every little thing.  I'm trying to turn my frown upside down, turn that dwell into a swell, but it an exhausting effort.  Blech.

1 comment:

Amy B. said...

I just finished my string of luck by getting a nasty bit of poison ivy. And now for my dismount...

The best thing that one can do in a powerless situation is empower themselves. And you are doing all that you can. I am sure that it is absolutely no consolation to know that your dark cloud covers not only your house, but many homes all at once. But at least we can all commiserate, enjoy a few potlucks, and hope to see each other again when we finally all reach the finish line.

And if that all doesn't comfort you, just remember that when life gives you lemons, tell Hunter to set up s lemonade stand.

A