Thursday, September 24, 2009

It's September?

Whoa, where is the time going? Crazy baby rearing, determined money earning, and slapdash housekeeping, that's where.

So here's my current dilemma, and I don't know whether to call it moral, ethical, or a matter of good taste: I live in Annapolis, home of the US Naval Academy. Our little soldier students have to stay fit as part of their educational mission, so they spend a lot of time running around town. The rule is they have to wear shirts on the Yard, but the minute the little jewels leave their campus, off come the shirts. This is traditionally considered a perquisite of residence in this town, and 10 years ago, I was delighted by it.

Now the scenery remains as eye-catching, but:
3. I no longer have reciprocal beauty. Time was I didn't hesitate to take a gander, because I knew the exchange was mutually beneficial. Now I'm thinking Jabba the Hut just had a glandular problem, and was probably quite handsome under his crusty exterior.

2. I'm old enough to be the parent of the youngest ones, with little scandal. Now when I ogle them, they are probably wondering why the matron with two little kids in the backseat is squinting at them.

1. I'm working at the academy. Should I be giving the eye to young people I might encounter in the classroom? Odds are I wouldn't recognize them with their shirts on, but they might know me. "Hi, professor, so nice to finally put a name to the lechy eyeballs."

Ugh.

This doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking at the running candy. I just wonder how guilty I should feel about it.

No comments: