Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hmm

This is a "What Would You Do?" sort of post. One of my little nuggets came home today claiming that she found a mouse dropping in her sandwich. Whole wheat sliced bread (no seeds), cold-cut ham and american cheese. She brought the sandwich home with one small piece of bread missing from it and no mouse dropping, because she threw that part away. So I retrieved the bag of bread from the refrigerator and pulled all of the slices out onto the cutting board. No droppings or evidence of droppings. Shook the bag out over the sink- crumbs, no droppings. Asked her if she was sure, or if perhaps the ham had some spice or something on it. Nope, had to be a mouse dropping.

Even though she has utter certainty, I don't believe there was a mouse dropping in the sandwich. How could there be just one in the whole bag, and it happened to land on her sandwich slices? This is almost irrelevant though, because I foresee that she will refuse to eat any futher slices of bread from this bag. Do I buy another just for her, or wait until this one is gone, and let her eat crackers or no bread in the meantime? Am I crazy, or is it possible for a very tidy mouse to drop just one pellet on a loaf of bread?

2 comments:

Amy B. said...

Could it have been a mouse calling card? I've heard of such serial offences.

Jaye said...

Do you think? Doesn't matter- I was raised by a depression-era person. No way can I toss a loaf of bread on suspicion of one mouse dropping.