Thursday, July 03, 2008

Hair Again

Believe it or not, I finally had my hair cut. It's been quite a while since the last one, in October of '06. Back in those days, we had to cut our own hair with a sharp rock... Anyway, it was all quite lovely, in that scalp-burning, chemical straightening way. I can't help but wonder though, why did it take 2.25 hours? That's really a long time to sit in a salon, sniffing the fumes, and listening to the local gossip. The hot topics were: the perfidy of my old salon in dumping me (was glad to tell that story to the listening patrons), the character of the owner of said salon (this from my stylist and another woman), the local illegal immigration scandal, and the murky dealings at the big, fancy condo place downtown. Seems like no one has any sympathy for the wife and kids of the entrepreneur whose business was raided (cold), and the big time finance group who bought into the condo development have pushed the developer and his wife out of some operations (bummer).

It's amazing what you can pick up about your community when you kill an afternoon in a hair salon. However, since the price of this gossip was about $60/hour, I'll just stick to the newspaper as my primary source of information.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the rate of return on this particular investment. So far at work, there have been zero comments and two weird looks. Sadly, these looks seem to say, "You look funny today. I wonder what's different about you?", rather than "Man, I am so lucky to work in an office with that hot head of hair!" That's the price I pay for working with engineers, I guess. The "upside" is that I could choose not to bathe for two weeks, and no one would notice that either. I didn't even get my usual kissy-faces from old guys driving past me on the highway. Very poor show.

Two more days until the start of the best three weeks of summer :)

No comments: